SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

IronPython plugin crashes

Last post 12-03-2012 3:34 PM by linquize. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-25-2012 11:55 AM

IronPython plugin crashes

After investigation, the problem comes from the official IronPython 2.7.3 binaries from codeplex.

Microsoft.Scripting.dll in the zip file does not match with the source of IronPython 2.7.3.

Compiling IronPython 2.7.3 yourself works, can produce the correct Microsoft.Scripting.dll.

https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/tree/ipy-2.7.3

Could you update the binaries?

Part of the stack trace

---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ApplicationException: Error parsing D:\DotNet\SharpDevelop\src\AddIns\BackendBindings\Python\PythonBinding\Project\TestRunner\sdtest.py ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Failed to load language 'IronPython 2.7.3': Method not found: 'System.Type Microsoft.Scripting.Utils.ReflectionUtils.GetBaseType(System.Type)'. ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Type Microsoft.Scripting.Utils.ReflectionUtils.GetBaseType(System.Type)'.
       at IronPython.Runtime.Types.NewTypeMaker.LoadNewTypes(Assembly asm)
       at IronPython.Runtime.Binding.PythonBinder.DomainManager_AssemblyLoaded(Object sender, AssemblyLoadedEventArgs e)
       at IronPython.Runtime.Binding.PythonBinder..ctor(PythonContext pythonContext, CodeContext context)
       at IronPython.Runtime.PythonContext..ctor(ScriptDomainManager manager, IDictionary`2 options)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Filed under: ,
  • 11-25-2012 2:31 PM In reply to

Re: IronPython plugin crashes

1) Which zip file are you referring to?

2) Can you please post the steps to reproduce the error?

• 11-25-2012 3:37 PM In reply to

1) Download IronPython 2.7.3 Binaries zip file

http://ironpython.codeplex.com/releases/view/81726

To inspect, use ILSpy, of course!

Microsoft.Scripting.dll

Find Microsoft.Scripting.Utils.ReflectionUtils class.

It is not public, and it does not have GetBaseType(Type) method.

2) Build current HEAD of SharpDevelop (Release), run it.

Open SharpDevelop.sln with the newly compiled SharpDevelop,

Do nothing but wait until "Parsing PythonBinding" appears in status bar.

Crash with goldfish and stacktrace.

• 11-25-2012 6:55 PM In reply to

Downloading the official IronPython 2.7.3 binaries and looking at Microsoft.Scripting.dll with ILSpy I cannot see GetBaseType(Type) on the ReflectionUtils class. 

However Microsoft.Dynamic also has this class and does include the GetBaseType method. Looking at Microsoft.Dynamic that is included with SharpDevelop the ReflectionUtils class also has this GetBaseType method. I could be wrong but I cannot see any difference. The IronPython assemblies included with SharpDevelop were built using the IronPython 2.7.3 source code.

I have tried opening the SharpDevelop solution with the latest build of the source code and I cannot reproduce the exception you are seeing. I have tried a release build, a debug build of SharpDevelop and also an installed version of SharpDevelop 4.3 taken from the build server. All without any problems.

• 12-03-2012 3:34 PM In reply to

It is because IronRuby has been installed (using Installer) on my Windows.

It loads the GAC version instead, so the new method is not found in Microsoft.Scripting.dll (GAC)

After uninstalling IronRuby, and rebuild SharpDevelop, everything works fine.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)