SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Deploying SD to our customers for debugging existing software

Last post 07-03-2015 11:57 AM by thoros. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2015 8:47 AM

• thoros
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-01-2015
    • Posts 4

Deploying SD to our customers for debugging existing software

Hello,

we (a commercial company) would like to use SD to debug our assemblies (created with commercial VS) on our customer´s computers via remote desktop.

That means we would have to deploy SD (better 13mb than 500mb VS Express) to our customer along with pdb- and source-files for debugging. That´s for the easy part...

The thing is... we would like to make a little change (3 lines) to the Debugger.Core Plugin to fit our needs of using source-files from other locations than stored in the pdb-file, see HERE.

Q1: Would it be allowed to deploy SD 4.4 (LGPL) to our customer and use it there for debugging (not creating software)?

Q2: Would it be allowed to deploy a modified SD 4.4 (LGPL) to our customer and use it there for debugging (not creating software)?

Q3: Would it be allowed to deploy SD 5.1 (MIT) to our customer and use it there for debugging (not creating software)?

Q4: Would it be allowed to deploy a modified SD 5.1 (MIT) to our customer and use it there for debugging (not creating software)?

Thanks in advance!

• 07-02-2015 6:50 PM In reply to

Re: Deploying SD to our customers for debugging existing software

Q1. Yes. You would need to make the source code available to comply with LGPL.

Q2. Yes. You would need to make the source code available to comply with LGPL.

Q3. Yes.

Q4. Yes.

Is this change a useful feature for SharpDevelop to have or is it specific to how you are using it?

• 07-03-2015 8:41 AM In reply to

• thoros
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-01-2015
    • Posts 4

Tank you for your quick answer.

But I hope you misunderstood my intention (or I poorly explained)...

Our software is closed source and created with a commercial Visual Studio license and not with SD. As even software which IS created with SD doesn´t have to be open source (if I understood the LGPL correctly) I can hardly believe that our software must become open source just to debug (not create) it with SD.

Just to clarify this: We do NOT create software with SD and we do NOT use parts of SD (code or binaries) in our software. We would just like to use SD as a lightweight, easy to ship debugger at our customers´ locations.

Concerning the modification: To fit our needs better, we would like to make a little modification to the Debugger.Core component so the Debugger accepts sourcecodes for debugging from different locations from those stored in the .pdb-file. I would have assumed that this can already be achieved by setting up a sourcecode directory in the Debugging-options (symbols and sourcecode path), but unfortunately it doesn´t work. I just taught the Debugger.Core to first search in the executable-path for sourcecodes before searching somewhere else (3 line modification). For us this modification is sufficient but I would not suggest this to be in the common SD release. My proposal would be to implement a proper sourcecode finding hierarchy for the debugger: first use opened sourcefiles in the editor, then find sourcecodes regarding the symbols and sourcecodes paths in Debugging options, then use sourcecodes from location stored in pdb-file.

I´m sorry for being a bit "pushy" about this matter but I just want to be sure that everything is understood correctly and that we (as a company) behave absolutely correct in using SD according to the respective licenses. We would love to use SD for debugging but making our software open source unfortunately is not an option.

So again my questions:

Q1: Are we allowed to ship SD 4.4 (LGPL) to our customers with the intent of debugging (NOT creating) our closed source software?

Q2: Are we allowed to ship a slightly modified SD 4.4 (LGPL) to our customers with the intent of debugging (NOT creating) our closed source software?

Q3: Are we allowed to ship SD 5.1 (MIT) to our customers with the intent of debugging (NOT creating) our closed source software?

Q4: Are we allowed to ship a slightly modified SD 5.1 (MIT) to our customers with the intent of debugging (NOT creating) our closed source software?

Thank you.

• 07-03-2015 11:18 AM In reply to

Sorry I meant the changes you made to SharpDevelop, if you are using version 4.4, would need to be made available to comply with the LGPL. So those 3 lines that you change would need to be made available since 4.4 is licensed under the LGPL. With SharpDevelop 5.5 this is not required.

For your own application you are free to do whatever you want with since you are not using any SharpDevelop 4.4 source code.

• 07-03-2015 11:57 AM In reply to

• thoros
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-01-2015
    • Posts 4

Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)