SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Text Editor Licensing Questions

Last post 04-15-2010 7:23 AM by ChristophWille. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2010 11:11 PM

• chrpai
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-14-2010
    • Posts 1

Text Editor Licensing Questions

I'm working on an open source project ( MS-PL ) and I have a reference to the text editor control.  So far we are fine as I understand that LPGL allows that.

The problem I have now is I need a FoldingStrategy for XML files.  I've found a class file in Sharp Develop baseline ( XmlFoldingStrategy.cs )  that is part of the XmlEditor baseline.  Unfortunatly this code seems very tightly coupled to the SharpDevelop IDE and isn't as readily available as the Text Control portions.

I was playing with this FoldingStrategy class's source code and I was able to make it work in my code but I'm concerned that by doing this I open the door to force my project to be LGPL and I don't want to do that.

What is the best way to handle this type of situation?   The hack would seem to be to make a new library that derives from this class file, license it as LGPL and then link to it from my real project and say that I'm still MS-PL because I'm only linking against an LGPL library.

This legal stuff confuses the heck out of me. :-)

• 04-15-2010 7:23 AM In reply to

Re: Text Editor Licensing Questions

If you are using the source code, you need to abide by the LGPL (we do offer closed source licenses, but that's not applicable in this case). So placing our modified code in a separate assembly (and LGPL-license that assembly) is the best bet to be on the safe side (placing LGPLed code alongside differently licensed code in the same assembly is not possible).

Chris

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)