SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

AvalonEdit in Metro style app

Last post 11-26-2011 9:49 AM by FSchneidereit. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2011 7:44 PM

AvalonEdit in Metro style app

Hi!

I don't have my hands on the Windows 8 DP and Visual Studio 11 at the moment, but I checked it out a while back and at some point I was thinking about how hard it would be to create a lightweight source code editor app, especially since we already have a powerful implementation of a text editor in Xaml/WPF with AvalonEdit.

Now the question is: How hard would it be, if possible, to port AvalonEdit from WPF over to Metro/WinRT? I'm asking because I have no deep knowledge about the architecture and implementation of the text editor control, and all the WinRT stuff is still pretty new to me, so maybe some of the developers can give me their opinion on that case...

I was just thinking of a simple code editor which is able to create, load and save files in the first place, including features like folding, highlighting and code completion, and maybe can even handle projects at a later stage. AvalonEdit would be the essential thing to start with and for accomplishing that.

Florian

PS: You could also dream of creating an "immersive IDE" out of that in the future, but unfortunately WinRT applications are sandboxed and it's not possible, for example, to create apps based on an add-in architecture like SharpDevelop. This would be a big disadvantage for an IDE, and that's why I don't believe WinRT will ever be suitable for more complex and extensible applications. 

• 11-24-2011 8:31 PM In reply to

Re: AvalonEdit in Metro style app

AvalonEdit is using the System.Windows.Media.TextFormatting namespace (TextLines and TextRuns) for text layout and rendering within the visible region.

I don't know if WinRT has any equivalent low-level text APIs - I took a look at the API reference and it seems there isn't any. I guess one would have to use DirectWrite.

• 11-25-2011 2:44 PM In reply to

I highly doubt that heavy editing is the premier field of Metro apps:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464920.aspx

Chris

• 11-25-2011 5:56 PM In reply to

Well, I doubt it too. I think these apps are a little bit like an enhanced version of the old gadget platform. On the other hand, having a lightweight code editor as an app with just the features I mentioned would still be nice.

• 11-25-2011 7:12 PM In reply to

You are aware that Metro apps are sandboxed?

Chris

• 11-25-2011 8:40 PM In reply to

Yes, I am. Why? Shouldn't be a problem to build a simple code editor. My intention was: if the AvalonEdit text editor control was easily portable to WinRT, I'd just use a customized version of it within the app. After all, it doesn't seem to be so easy and not worth the afford at the moment. I thought to play a little around with this Metro stuff during the next weeks, and creating a simple code editor as kind of a demo app was my idea in the first place.

• 11-26-2011 7:56 AM In reply to

Sandboxed means no (full) file system access, thus everything lives inside the app's virtual structure. How useful can that be for a coder's editor?

Chris

• 11-26-2011 9:49 AM In reply to

OK - my fault. I actually wasn't aware of that it's so limited. Now that I read more of the docs, I know better. My initial thought was that you could define more capabilities for an app than just accessing the Library folders and removable storage devices. Well, looks like Metro is good for nothing but stupid weather and social-network apps and kind like that after all.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)