SharpDevelop Community

Get your problems solved!
Welcome to SharpDevelop Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

just so I get it right

Last post 09-15-2005 12:42 AM by protoplasm. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-15-2005 12:42 AM

just so I get it right

Locked Reply Contact

I just downloaded your program and it looks terrific! Let me see if I understand your point 13 of your GPL. Please let me know if I am summarizing correctly. If I plan to use this software to develop a commercial program there are no stipulations that that my new program created with your software has to be open source unless I actually go into your source code and reproduce or appropriate the actual open source code itself in spots in my program. Furthermore, any compiled code that is added by your program automatically to my program, is deemed an acceptable use and does not require my product to be open source. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Mike

• 09-17-2005 5:30 PM In reply to

Re: just so I get it right

Locked Reply Contact
    Yes, that's correct.
  • 09-19-2005 8:13 AM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact

Hi,

I wish to create a new application, using the source code provided. If i do so, i do not have essentially make it open source as per this post, even if the application developed is commercial. In such a case is there anything i need to mention in the CopyRights or provide along with the new Commercial Application(Without Source code of the new application).

Is this allowed or would be this illegal.

Also the GPL being used is it the same as http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt (This did not contain Point 13 mentioned). As was unable to locate the same on the site.

Regards,

Santosh Rao

• 09-19-2005 1:55 PM In reply to

Locked Reply Contact
     SantoshRaoBlr wrote:
    I wish to create a new application, using the source code provided

You can use SharpDevelop to develop commercial applications, but you cannot base your applications on the SharpDevelop source code (or use any of SharpDevelop's components like ICSharpCode.TextEditor or SharpRefactory).
    If your application uses (parts of) SharpDevelop's source code, your application must be licensed unter the GPL (or a compatible license), which means that you have to publish the source code of your whole application (not just the parts that are using code from SharpDevelop).
    You can buy a commercial license of SharpDevelop's components that allows you to re-use them in your applications.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)